Sunday, January 10, 2010

Current Events

There has not been a lot going on here lately other than bitter cold weather and a couple of litters of babies growing out. My oldest litters are now 5 weeks old and the youngest are 3, so there will be a few more juniors hopping around and it will be time for breeding again soon as soon as Spring rolls around.

The PA Convention is also coming up in a couple of weeks, and I won't have much to bring again this year since I didn't do a lot of breeding for Winter buns. My best rabbits seem to be lining up for the Spring season right now, so what will probably end up happening is that all the proverbial eggs will be in one bunny basket this year, LOL. Once the season is over (somewhere around May or June), I will breed all the best does for some (hopefully) very good litters.

As my own kids get older and hit the teenage years, life is getting a whole lot busier then it used to be:). Between driving to different activities, cooking TONS of food (who would have thought it was possible for three boys to eat so much??!!), and stepping up our homeschool schedule at the same time, life has gotten very, very hectic:). I have my herd at a stable number of rabbits right now that makes it possible to keep up with grooming and maintenance and still produce a number of litters, but I will have to keep things relatively small for a couple of years until everyone grows up and doesn't need as much 'upkeep' anymore, LOL. Eventually I will be able to expand my herd again, start breeding more, and show more often in places that are further away (especially Convention:)).

The great thing about cold weather, however, is that it makes wool grow at an unbelievable rate. No sooner do you clip a rabbit but the coat is springing right back, and even the babies' wool seems to be coming in faster than usual right now. Despite the difficulties of managing a rabbitry at this time of year, there are certainly benefits to raising angoras in sub-zero temperatures:-).

More next time when I try to get some baby pictures posted.

Have a great week!

No comments: