Saturday, May 8, 2010

Giant Stuff!

I have been running around like a crazy person since baseball season started and there are three kids playing ball here at the same time--!! Today's game got rained out and the other kids' practice was canceled, so now there are a few minutes to sit down and shift to bunny mode:).

I am planning on posting a detailed entry about how to carry and flip a rabbit for grooming (with pictures) ASAP, but first I have to get the pictures taken and everything else assembled. By next week I will be ready to post it for sure:).

All of my juniors in the barn are currently clipped down to grow Sr. coats for Fall, and we are in full-fledged breeding mode at this point. All the does I needed to breed have pretty much been done and the first crop of litters will soon be weaned. The only rabbits currently in coat now are Spang's Beauregard (a REW buck I kept in his first Sr. coat), and JG's Milo, a Black Giant Jr. buck that I picked up from Janet Gruber a couple of weeks ago:).

Milo is a spunky little guy with fabulous type and a nice coat coming in (if he was White he would make a great show rabbit *grin*). At this point I am doing absolutely nothing but keeping him groomed and watching him. I am trying to see exactly how his wool develops, what types of maintenance requirements he has, and how long he can go from coat to coat without needing shearing. So far he has a monstrous appetite (which is fantastic), and doesn't seem to need grooming more than once a week, at least not yet:). When he does get groomed it definitely takes longer than FAs of the same age because of his feet and furnishings, etc. but once he gets older I will probably just hit him with the blower once a week and do the furnishings by hand, which should save more time.

Here are some pictures I took of Milo below. In the GA breed bucks tend to have heavier furnishings than the does, and IMO this is a great thing because I don't plan on having more bucks than I need, LOL! I think (being a French person:)) that I would rather have lots of does with the cleanest allowable heads here:-).

Anyhow more again next week when there is much more time. Hope everyone is having a great spring with lots of babies!



JG'S MILO-10JG5



2 comments:

Deb W said...

There must be something in the air!! Annette brought home a Flemish Giant from the Ohio Convention, now "Ms. French Angora' buys a Giant......and I came home from Mineral Wells yesterday with a Mini Rex!

i'm with you about wishing Giants had the clean heads and ears like FAs.

Jan said...

Ah, but I like being able at a glance to know what breed I'm looking at, so I like my Giants to have furnishings on both sexes.

He looks great, Amy!