Monday, March 21, 2011

Just a Few Pics

These are just a few pics today of Giant Crosses that were out for grooming this weekend. There are more in the barn waiting for their own photo sessions (LOL), but here are 3 of my does who are FA/GA and FA/NZ/GA crosses. These girls have about 2 months worth of growth on them now. I am waiting to see how far they can go (wool-wise) before needing a clipping. Once these coats are finished all three girls will be bred to Spang's Tundra, the largest REW FA/NZ/GA cross I bred this winter, and I will see what comes out:). All three of these girls are 8 months old; the Black does weigh 9 1/2 lbs. each and the Chocolate is currently at 11.


SPANG'S BOCA-0SP102



SPANG'S LOLO--0SP107



SPANG'S DAFFODIL--0SP91




More again next week as the weather continues to thaw. Happy Spring!!:-)

5 comments:

Deb W said...

Wow!
What good-looking bunnies! What is the wool like? More like Giant, or does the FA contribute something?

Amy said...

Hi Deb!

Well, the wool is kind of coarse on the last bun especially (the Chocolate)--and probably more like a very coarse French wool. This is not ideal of course according to the standard, but wool is one of the easiest things to change over time---much harder is setting the size, weight, and type (and of course such things as good breeding and mothering). I figure I'll work on foundational traits first and then move on from there. There is no way this is going to happen without a minimum of 5-6 generations anyway. Crossbreeding is a long, L-O-N-G process. LOL.

Hannah said...

Hi Amy,
I had planned to write you through email, but cannot get the 'Contact' page on the main website to open for me, so sorry about posting here, hope this reaches you! Just wanted to say I am just getting into French Angoras - I have had rabbits before, but am now a handspinner also, so am looking forward to learning that aspect of this adventure along with showing and breeding - but that I have found your website inspiring and very helpful as I'm learning! I am in Texas, but would one day love to add a Spang bunny, their pictures are beautiful! Your focus on the dual purpose aspect of the breed is particularly interesting, and is part of what initially moved me towards the French for my fiber bunnies. Thank you!

Hannah

Amy Jane (Untangling Tales) said...

I tried to contact you through your website, but the "contact" button just takes me back to the home page.

Should I ask you question about buying through here, or can you e-mail me?

Indigo, madder, marigold said...

those are some beautiful rabbits! i am new to angora breeding but got my first kits this week from a lovely doe.