Sunday, January 18, 2009

Bad Rabbit Day:(


This last week in the rabbitry has been mortifying, frustrating, and fraught with fainting spells, temper tantrums, and screaming fits. Not really (actually it hasn't been THAT bad:)), but I was definitely crying in my soup for long hours this week when two of my best entries for the PA Show went off feed incurably and had to be sheared:(. One of the buns was a nice doe with good type and wool which was upsetting, but the OTHER one was unquestionably the hands-down top gun in my show string at the moment, and that was what had me on the verge of jumping off a cliff and throwing myself in front of a moving train for 5 or 6 days, LOL.

The cold weather we have been having lately has been VERY cold for this area, and I noticed that the rate of wool growth has been speeding up over the past few weeks. Wool always grows faster in the winter, but with the sub zero temperatures we were having it seemed to be coming in faster still. Last week---3 weeks before the big show date---my does Sabini and Devaki suddenly went off feed with no hope of getting them back on. Sabini was unexpected because she was only in the 5th month of growth and had more length to add, I thought, but Devaki almost threw me into cardiac arrest that I will not recover from until sometime next year, LOL.

After trying all the classic woolblock remedies, I finally bit the bullet (literally:( ) and clipped everything off. Sabini yielded just an average amount of wool for the month she was in, but Devaki came up just short of 10 oz. with 9 inches of length at almost 6 months (of growth). I had hoped like crazy that she would make it to PA because she has never been in a show before and I was hoping to earn some legs for her, but I could see that she was slipping and there was no question that the coat she had was not long for the world, LOL.

At times like these I find that it is always helpful to remember what I am doing, and exactly why. No matter how many rabbits miss how many shows or no matter how devastating/crippling/horrifying the losses all are, I always have to remember that I am a breeder first and a show person second. As hard as it is to admit that a coat is OVER (and boy oh boy is that ever HARD to admit, LOL!!!), there is no question that I have to do what is best for my herd at all times. A good breeding rabbit is infinitely more valuable than a good show rabbit, so what matters most is that Devaki and Sabini stay healthy and have carbon copies of themselves in the future. This is what I try to think about on days like this, and sometimes it works:-).

The other thing to examine when several rabbits go off feed for a period of time AND earlier than it seems they should have, is what management issues could possibly be contributing to that. I have had several rabbits in coat go off feed with woolblock symptoms over the last few months, and since I haven't changed anything in my management except my feed, I have decided to get rid of the Blue Seal and go back to Heinold, which supported healthier guts, larger coats, and better condition (at least in my barn).

Anyhow, so here are several pics of the 'fallen' buns who were clipped. Both are now happily scampering around their cages, thrilled to death that their clever ruse worked and I fell for it so quickly, and completely oblivious to myself--the poor owner--lying facedown on the floor beside them sobbing uncontrollably. LOLOL!

The first bunny here is Sabini, a daughter of Morwenna, and the next (THREE!) are of Devaki:). Both girls will now be bred after the PA Show along with everyone else, and I am busy now planning dates and breeding pairs.


SPANG'S SABINI



SPANG'S DEVAKI








More stuff next time, and have a great week!:-)

1 comment:

Ivana said...

Your rabbit really beautiful.