Saturday, September 11, 2010

Giant Project

Today I took some Giant cross babies from my most recent litters, and had my son snap a few pics of them.

These buns are approx. 7 weeks old, and are a cross between a black Giant and 2 different REW FA/NZ crosses. As you can see, many of them already exhibit the furnishings one would expect on a Giant, but I think it will be awhile until the coats are correct and can actually be considered Giant triple coats.

My plan here is to develop a line of Black and REW GAs. I got plenty of both colors in the three litters that I bred, fortunately, so I am hoping that these babies will be a nice starting point for the project.

I am hoping to select the very best/heaviest/hardiest/typiest babies out of these litters, and then breed them to Dustbunny's's Liam (the pure REW GA I have) for part II of this thing:). For culling help I have enlisted the aid of two wonderful meat breeders I know who are experts in type and bone, and that way I should manage to get excellent evaluations of everyone which will lessen the chances of me making a horrible mistake on my own, LOL.

These first two pics are of two Black crosses. Their color looks good but as far as type and meat condition go, it is still too early to know anything. Below this are two REWs who are the exactly same age, and as everyone gets older I will continue to post pics here so everyone can see how they develop. This is going to be a fascinating experiment because you never know what will happen when two different lines and breeds mesh together. It will be really interesting to see how these litters grow, and it will also be fascinating to see how long (and how many generations) it will take to make a true, functional, bone fide Giant:-). I am trying to get ahold of one or two more purebred GAs to add to my herd, and I may also try adding a purebred NZ White doe from a friend of mine who has stock from one of the top lines in the country.








Anyway, more stuff again next week. Hope everyone is enjoying the MUCH cooler weather now (in this area, at least!:))

4 comments:

Deb W said...

Interesting that you would take on this project. I am seeing comments on the groups showing more interest in Giants (and Germans) from those of us who are interested mostly in wool harvest. I love my FAs,(especially their 'clean' faces) but don't get the every-three-months harvest I expected from any of mine. (Truffle being the closest to it)

I kinda-sorta get the concept of showing rabbits that aren't 100% purebred (if it looks like a ______ then it can show as a ______).

So what are your objectives with this project? Create a new breed? Improve wool production in FAs? Get color in Giants approved for showing?

Jan said...

Gorgeous! :)

Amy said...

Hi Deb,

No, I have no intention of creating a new breed, mixing these rabbits with my FA line, or getting a new color approved (that would be Janet's job, right Jan?:))

All I am trying to do now is create a Giant line of my own that will (hopefully:)) be large, hardy, dense, and as good as the French in the breeding and mothering department. The FA will always be my first and ultimate favorite breed, but I will be developing a GA line in my barn in addition to that:).

Deb W said...

Sounds good to me! I have e-mailed Janet asking for her to perhaps produce some "Giant" education articles, in the same way you have done for the French.