Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bunny Stuff

It looks like coats for the Spring season are really starting coming in now, which is making it necessary to have marathon grooming sessions every weekend just to keep everyone neat and presentable (especially those bucks:( ). I have to say I pine for the day when I will be able to remove these silly crocks and put my handy dandy water bottles back up. Trust me when I say that it is no fun spending 45 minutes grooming a doe only to find her standing in the water dish when you come back into the barn to get everyone fed later on--grrrr!

The warmer nights now have left everyone with unfrozen water all the time so everyone has been eating and drinking very well. The first show of the season is going to be in Hamburg PA this year, so if everything goes well (knock on wood, cross fingers and hold breath), everyone should have 4-5 inches of dense growth piled on and be very ready to compete.


The babies are looking good, and I will be starting a new wave of Spring breeding this week also. I took a few bunny pictures here to post.


This beautiful baby below is a Sable F4 Cross doe out of Kimba and Giacomo. She has fabulous depth and color right now, but as with all crosses I'll have to wait and see how the Senior coat turns out. It is absolutely wonderful to have Sables in the barn again. I am going be working my tail off 24/7 from this point forward to make sure they stay for eternity, LOL. This little girl is 11 weeks old:).





The next photo is of one of my newest does, Spang's Bijou. Bijou is a daughter of Devaki, a doe I had who consistently gave me 10 oz. per shearing, and I am positive that she will do the same, if not more:). Here she is in her first senior coat (about 2 inches so far), and below her picture I tried to take a closeup of her wool which shows the quality of texture she is already displaying at 8 months. This is an example of one of those cases where the body is not perfect (Bijou's type falls off over the loin), but it was necessary to keep her anyway because one of her other parts exploded off the map, LOL. I will be bringing this doe to shows but how she does will depend on what type of judge she gets. A meat judge will place her lower than other entries without a doubt, but a wool judge will shoot her up in the ranks, possibly even giving her top placement. This rabbit is so dense that I probably will not be able to brush her in another month. I think I will end up using the blower with a touch up afterward with the slicker.






Anyway, hopefully everyone is getting through the end of the winter alright and we are all dreaming of spring and planning our next breedings:). Have a great week and see you again next time!

No comments: