Saturday, March 6, 2010

Snow and Bunnies

Well, it looks like we are having a long awaited respite from snowstorms and power outages now, and by some miracle the temperatures have been rising and it looks like spring is actually on it's way for a change:).

With all this wintry weather the does have been reluctant to breed, but it looks like things are finally starting to pick up now. I got Margaux bred to Anton and Kimba to Akeno this week, and tomorrow I am planning at least 4 more breedings.

Here are a few pictures of our yard right after the snowstorm that dumped about 2 feet on us last week. The first shot is of our garden and garden shed, and the next is of the chickens hanging out in the only dry place left under the porch next to the dryer vent:).











And speaking of breeding, this bunny pictured below is named Mardiney's S'more. He is a Seal buck out of two rabbits I sold more than 6 years ago to a local 4Her whose mom is a very good friend of mine. This woman's daughter showed the bunnies many times over the years, even winning BIS at the county fair, and she eventually bred them together to produce a single litter from which this Seal buck was kept.

S'more is now an old man at 5 years of age. I mentioned to my friend that I was trying to revive the Sable color in my herd and she offered me the use of this fellow. I tried bringing a doe over to meet him but she was uncooperative and he was too wooly and a little too tired, LOL!

Anyway, to make a long story short, my friend then kindly offered to loan S'more to me to see if I could get some babies out of him:). I have 4 does clipped down and ready for him now, and this morning I went ahead and sheared the guy himself to give him every possible advantage in the access and mobility departments, hahaha.

Below are two pictures of this boy. He was never taught how to pose commercially so he is sitting up like a arched breed right now, LOL. His coat is hard to see in this position and he was long overdue for a clipping, but even at 5 he still had nice wool and impressive density.

Next I posted the after-clipping picture, and hopefully this baldie will now feel chipper enough to get down to business in his S-L-I-C-K new birthday suit:-)





More again next time. Have a great, warm week!:)

No comments: